Progress Releases NativeScript 5.0; Crosses 3.5 Million Downloads
Latest release includes Hot Module Replacement and code sharing with Angular for web and mobile development from a single project
The NativeScript framework was created to ease the mobile app development process by leveraging developers’ existing web development skills to create native mobile apps for iOS and Android. With its latest release NativeScript has again improved developer productivity through capabilities including code sharing, hot module replacement, preview enhancements and more.
“In 2016, NativeScript 2.0 gave developers the ability to use Angular
and NativeScript to create native mobile apps, but we wanted to take it
a step further by enabling them to keep their code in one place and
share business logic between web, iOS and Android,” said
New in NativeScript 5.0:
- NativeScript-Schematics – a joint initiative with Angular to create a schematic that enables the building of both web and mobile apps from a single project
- New “Instant Start” CLI workflow – begin work on native apps in five minutes with no up-front requirements to install iOS and Android SDKs
- Hot Module Replacement – instantaneous, stateful application updates, avoiding full page reload, significantly accelerating the app development and debugging experience
Vue.js support – core Vue.js developer experience through a single
file component in the
- Streamlined “Getting Started” experience – Easier development with Playground-compatible code samples available in the NativeScript Marketplace
- Android enhancements – increased animation scenarios and more material design capabilities.
- Vector type support for iOS – enable a broader set of augmented reality scenarios for iOS
NativeScript is a key technology in Progress’ high productivity application development offering, enabling a unified cross-platform developer experience for truly native multi-channel, multi-platform apps.
“Today’s release of NativeScript 5.0 brings an unprecedented level of
ease, flexibility and productivity to the mobile app dev experience,”
NativeScript 5.0 is available today. For more information, go to www.nativescript.org.
- Follow NativeScript on Twitter
Kim Baker, +1 888-365-2779